Minutes for Telecon for Nov 20, 2002 Present: Churchwell, Benjamin, Meade, Stolovy, Dickey, Wolfire, Babler, Clemens, Mathis, Watson, Whitney, Marston, Ashman Next telecon: Wednesday December 18, 2002, 11 am CST, 608-265-1000 #4112 Frequency of telecons It was decided we'd go to a once a month schedule for telecons from now on. Our next telecon is Wednesday Dec 18, 2002. Report on the SIRTF Science User's Panel (SUP) meeting Nov 4-5 Dan The launch date has slipped to January 29, 2002, at the earliest. SSC Software Scheduler update o can run Scheduler 4-5 times faster than real-time o early testing and SV observations have been put in Scheduler o haven't put in "steady state" observations in yet, e.g. GLIMPSE segments or other Legacy team observations o schedules with high efficiency Question: What if there is an extended IOC? They have pre-programmed all the IOC observations and have leads & teams for all sets of observations. Don't expect big delays unless something serious is found. There will be a 100-day review (L+100). If SIRTF performance is within ~20% of nominal, then will proceed. The wrapping of some IRAC cables took out about half the level of the noise spike problem. It is thought that this will be even less of a problem on orbit. Guest Observer Program - The Cycle-1 Call for Proposals was issued Nov 8. Proposals are due in June, 2003. Proposers will be using SPOT to plan their observations. The TAC will meet soon after the proposal deadline and if a proposal is approved, the observations will go right into the scheduler.. might not have a chance to tweak the proposed observations. Do we want to write a proposal for MIPS 24 micron data in Cycle 1??? SSC personnel have been working primarily on operational and testing issues. Nov 19 & 20 is the readiness review at SSC. Post-BCD software is a lower priority at this time. Our main concern is the bandmerger. Launch date and Sci Verification Schedule Ed Implications of a launch delay on our observing schedule Christer With a launch delay and the possibility of IOC lasting longer than planned, we might not be able to observe the W51 region for our Science Verification Observation. It disappears at the end of May. A possible replacement is the RCW57 region in the southern hemisphere (l=291.6, b=-0.5), which is just outside our current survey region. It has mid-June availability. We need to put together a back-up SV program, from l=-70 to l=-50. Bob and Ed will pursue possible fields. Reviews/Testing/Software Tony Operational Review at SSC going well. There will be a pre-ship review in a few days. More testing will be done. A full setup test will be done in early December. No change in IRAC's instrument status. It's been undergoing lots of testing and checks. Tony will check about the bandmerger. We are most concerned now about I/O changes...settling on the I/O for the bandmerger would be useful for us. Other stuff is higher priority right now at SSC. Might Remy go to Pasadena after the AAS in Seattle and talk to the developer? Mosaicing up-date Barb Barb has been running both the SSC mosaicer and Montage. Montage can project to Galactic coordinates. Montage has been run on our simulated images in W51. All 5 AORs worth. Individual AORs and the combination of all 5. Brian is starting to look at doing photometry on the mosaiced images. Christer is downloading the 2MASS quicklook images from the All-Sky Survey for the GLIMPSE survey region. Then we will mosaic those images for use in the QLVT. (When the All-Sky Survey PSC and Atlas images are available, we will download those data for the GLIMPSE region.) Montage is 4 times slower than the SSC mosaicer (but Montage is doing the Galactic projection). Barb calculated it would take 128 days to mosaic the GLIMPSE survey region (4 bands) on one processor using Montage. Ed reports that we've ordered more processors and another RAID array (8 disks with 200 GB/disk). We've also ordered a tape drive and tapes for backups. One question is ... is our overlap enough? (12 pixels). We won't really know that until we get the SV data. How good will the flat fielding be? Simulated data can't tell us. PASP Paper Bob Bob has a complete first draft of the PASP paper.. which is a combination of the Science & Requirements Document, Data Products Doc, Extended Abstract and the original proposal. It's to be submitted by the end of November. The UW folks will look at the draft first and give comments by Friday Nov 22, then Bob will send it to the entire team by Monday to get comments. Completeness and Reliability Issues Ed Ed talked to Tom Soifer about C & R. Tom wants us to make sure we are testing our observing strategy. Barb & Ed went to the UW Statistics Dept on Monday to discuss methods of determining C & R. The statistics folks are concerned about how we decide what is "truth" (currently 6 out of 10 detections). They thought it was too arbitrary. We should use our truth table to help us determine our guidelines. Barb & Ed & Remy will meet with the statistics folks again on Monday.